Bug Reports

X-Arcade & Tankstick Exit Issue Workaround - Maximus 2.10

Found a bug? Report it here...

Moderators: waeberd, mameseer

X-Arcade & Tankstick Exit Issue Workaround - Maximus 2.10

Postby MaximusArcade » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:16 pm

Hello all,

I am Jeremy from Xgaming, Inc., and I'm going to try see if I can help find a workaround or fix for this issue until mameseer is able to nail it down once and for all. Please know that we have not been in touch with him, so we don't know anything more than you do at this point. He is more than welcome to contact me directly if he wishes.

First and foremost please do not trash the software or mameseer in this thread as it will only get it closed…take that to another thread please.

I am basing this off of our Maximus Arcade and MAME setup guide and files here: http://www.xgaming.com/support/questions/102/

If I am correct in my findings, this problem has nothing to do with the X-Arcade at all, but may indeed a small bug in the Maximus software or Windows 7.
EDIT: This may be a problem in Windows 7 only, please confirm your O/S and whether you have the same problem.

To replicate the bug consistently, simply hold any numpad direction (2,4,6 or 8 = Joy1 on the X-Arcade) and then hit the Shift key (= Button 4 on the X-Arcade - LK on SF, LP on MK). Now when you try to exit a game you will see the bug. Furthermore, if you do the same combination while in the Maximus menu, you will see that direction will get stuck. You can also see it happens in the X-Arcade Test Program. Bug identified.

The workaround options until there is a fix are:
Option 1. Spin Joy1 in a complete circle before exiting a game. If you get the black screen don't panic, just spin joy1 again and use the exit command again.
Option 2. Turn off numlock when using Maximus (now joy1 on the X-Arcade acts like arrow keys)
Option 3. Reprogram the X-Arcade to use different keys for Button 4 (Shift) or Joy1, change settings in Maximus to match.
Option 4. Use one of these methods to make the X-Arcade act as a gamepad in windows instead of a keyboard: http://www.xgaming.com/support/questions/61/

I also have a few workarounds if you do get the black screen bug so you don’t have to reboot the PC:
1. If you move joy1 in all directions (or technically just the direction it got stuck in), you can then use the Exit Game command to get back to the Maximus menu.
2. Hit ALT+TAB and then ALT+F4 to close Maximus.
3. Hit the Windows key (or CTRL+ESC), then right-click on the taskbar button for Maximus and choose close.

I have also noticed that you cannot exit Maximus using ALT+F4 unless you first hit Alt+Tab. I don’t know if this is related or helpful.

Please try these solutions out and see if my findings are correct, or if there is more to it that I have missed.

Related threads:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=825
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1843
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2256
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2199
Last edited by MaximusArcade on Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:10 pm, edited 8 times in total.
MaximusArcade
retro enthusiast

Re: X-Arcade & Tankstick Exit Issue Workaround - Maximus 2.10

Postby Kman » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:51 am

Thank you Jeremy. This is the progress we've all been waiting for.
...............See my hard work over at BYOAC................
Or visit my homepage @ http://www.koskimaki.se/
Kman
retro junkie

Postby spacegoogie » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:18 am

Yes, Thank you so much!
That's the way to do it. Again, Thank you. THis is a big help.
spacegoogie
retro geek (+5 charisma)

Postby jamie » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:02 am

I dont use X-Arcade myself, I Have a custom built control panel but its great to see this bug finally get a work around.

Im sure there will be tons of very happy X-Arcade users. Thanks Jeremy :-bd

However Im very suprised that after the amount of people conplaining about this issue only 2 have managed to post a thank you.
jamie
retro geek (+5 charisma)

Postby MaximusArcade » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:17 pm

jamie wrote:I dont use X-Arcade myself, I Have a custom built control panel but its great to see this bug finally get a work around.

Im sure there will be tons of very happy X-Arcade users. Thanks Jeremy :-bd

However Im very suprised that after the amount of people conplaining about this issue only 2 have managed to post a thank you.

The 3 that did made it all worth it :)
MaximusArcade
retro enthusiast

Postby Xenor » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:51 am

I have additional information which may help MA users and X-Arcade users.

As Jeremy stated, the issue is when a direction is held (i.e. a direction on the left joystick) and the shift key (button 4, SF LKick) at the same time.

Here are some observations I noticed about MA software behavior and X-Arcade input:
-I have not had a problem exiting when I do not press the shift key at all during gameplay.
-Just spinning the left joystick, if they direction is "stuck", does not always free the stuck direction.
-Consistently I can free the stuck direction by, once I'm ready to exit a game, press shift (button 4 on Xarcade, SF LK) first, then spin the stick.
-I still cannot use a multiple button exit in MA, no matter what I do. I have configured the Player 2 button to be the exit key if held down for two seconds.
-The behavior is consistent between two completely separate machines. I recently built a dedicated PC for my arcade, and once software and settings were copied over from the previous system, the behavior was identical.
-I noticed that if Windows 7 determines that the XArcade is a certain type of keyboard a (MCIR 109), the button layout for the XArcade is different. This makes me wonder if the issue might also have to do with what drivers are being used for the XArcade unit (or maybe even other interface hardware).
-Most interesting is that I can reproduce the "sticking direction" behavior mentioned in this thread within the web/java based XArcade test tool. Hitting a direction, and pressing shift (button 4) displays the joystick as being stuck in a direction. You can see the keys being stuck, and the graphic shows the joystick leaning a certain direction. Again, you can get out of this "stuck direction by pressing Shift and spinning the joystick all the way around.

It's interesting to me that I can reproduce the behavior outside of MA. By no means this infers that there is nothing wrong with MA, just that there may be something wrong with what the software interface which receives these button presses. I would appreciate any input from MA representatives and X-Arcade staff regarding these findings.
Xenor
retro enthusiast

Postby spacegoogie » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:37 pm

Xenor wrote:I have additional information which may help MA users and X-Arcade users.

As Jeremy stated, the issue is when a direction is held (i.e. a direction on the left joystick) and the shift key (button 4, SF LKick) at the same time.

Here are some observations I noticed about MA software behavior and X-Arcade input:
-I have not had a problem exiting when I do not press the shift key at all during gameplay.
-Just spinning the left joystick, if they direction is "stuck", does not always free the stuck direction.
-Consistently I can free the stuck direction by, once I'm ready to exit a game, press shift (button 4 on Xarcade, SF LK) first, then spin the stick.
-I still cannot use a multiple button exit in MA, no matter what I do. I have configured the Player 2 button to be the exit key if held down for two seconds.
-The behavior is consistent between two completely separate machines. I recently built a dedicated PC for my arcade, and once software and settings were copied over from the previous system, the behavior was identical.
-I noticed that if Windows 7 determines that the XArcade is a certain type of keyboard a (MCIR 109), the button layout for the XArcade is different. This makes me wonder if the issue might also have to do with what drivers are being used for the XArcade unit (or maybe even other interface hardware).
-Most interesting is that I can reproduce the "sticking direction" behavior mentioned in this thread within the web/java based XArcade test tool. Hitting a direction, and pressing shift (button 4) displays the joystick as being stuck in a direction. You can see the keys being stuck, and the graphic shows the joystick leaning a certain direction. Again, you can get out of this "stuck direction by pressing Shift and spinning the joystick all the way around.

It's interesting to me that I can reproduce the behavior outside of MA. By no means this infers that there is nothing wrong with MA, just that there may be something wrong with what the software interface which receives these button presses. I would appreciate any input from MA representatives and X-Arcade staff regarding these findings.

:-bd Thanks for the info.
All I did was turn off NUM LOCK and I'm good to go.
spacegoogie
retro geek (+5 charisma)

Postby MaximusArcade » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:01 pm

Xenor wrote:I have additional information which may help MA users and X-Arcade users.

[SNIP!]

Actually you can get it to stick in our test program using your NUMPAD directions and the SHIFT key together with no X-Arcade attached. This very well may be a Windows 7 issue rather than a Maximus software one.

But since you can reproduce it without an X-Arcade (and with competing hardware encoders), the problem is definitely not X-Arcade specific.

Good find. Can anyone reproduce on non-Win7 environment?
MaximusArcade
retro enthusiast

Postby jfroco » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:11 pm

Hello guys,

I don't have the tansktick but I wrote this small tool that turn off the num lock, so you can use with the "Run application on startup" option if you wish.

http://www.awkantun.com/mytools/numlockoff.zip

Best regards

JF
jfroco
retro enthusiast

Postby spacegoogie » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:28 am

jfroco wrote:Hello guys,

I don't have the tansktick but I wrote this small tool that turn off the num lock, so you can use with the "Run application on startup" option if you wish.

http://www.awkantun.com/mytools/numlockoff.zip

Best regards

JF

Is it the same as just turning it off in the motherboard CMOS?
Thats what I did and now I never have to push the NUM Lock button when windows starts.

Thanks for put'N the app out there :-bd
spacegoogie
retro geek (+5 charisma)

Postby jfroco » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:43 am

spacegoogie wrote:
Is it the same as just turning it off in the motherboard CMOS?
Thats what I did and now I never have to push the NUM Lock button when windows starts.

Thanks for put'N the app out there :-bd

Hi spacegoogie,

Yes, it should be same. The only difference I see is that after booting someone could accidentally pressed the num lock button before launching Maximus Arcade, or if the PC is used for other tasks (not a dedicated PC).

Best regards

JF
jfroco
retro enthusiast

Postby Splock » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:56 am

Disabling num-lock fixed my problems with exiting 100%! I had to use jfroco's program because I don't have an option to disable num-lock in my BIOS.

Thanks Jeremy and jfroco!
Splock
retro enthusiast

Postby spacegoogie » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:40 am

Damn I don't think I ever told you I was running windows XP home 32bit.
spacegoogie
retro geek (+5 charisma)

Postby spacegoogie » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:40 am

Damn I don't think I ever told you I was running windows XP home 32bit.
spacegoogie
retro geek (+5 charisma)

Postby Epyx » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:11 am

I had Windows XP 32 bit as well when I was experiencing this bug with my old tankstick.
Epyx
retro enthusiast

Next

Return to Bug Reports